Just for fun, we’ve compiled some interesting facts that you may not know about gold.
1. According to the legend of El Dorado (the gilded one), an Andean chief who was covered in gold dust would make offerings of gold into a mountain lake
2. The Aztec word for gold, "teocuitatl," was translated by Europeans as meaning "excrement of the gods."
3. During the California gold rush, some speculators paid more for an ounce of water than they received for an ounce of gold.
4. King Croesus of Lydia created the first pure gold coins in 540 B.C.
5. When Franklin Roosevelt raised the price of gold from $20.67 to $35 in 1934, the dollar immediately lost 40% of its value
6. South Dakota and Nevada produce more gold than any other states.
7. The visors of astronauts’ helmets are coated in a very thin, transparent layer of gold (.000002 inches) that reduces glare and heat from sunlight.
8. Henry VIII, Diocletian and Nero were infamous gold debasers, mixing other metals into gold coins and decreasing their value.
9. Evidence suggests that around 5,000 B.C., gold and copper became the first metals to be discovered by man.
Take a look at our wide range of quality gold today.